Pages

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Cornflowers - In Memory of Dad

This is my dad and my 3 children.  This photo was taken about 3 weeks before he passed away from complications from ALS.  ALS (also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease) is a progressive neuromuscular disease in which nerve cells die and leave voluntary muscles paralyzed.  My father's diagnosis and  death at the age of 63 were a great blow to my family, yet we take great joy in sharing our remembrances of him and caring for each other in our sadder moments.  
Like many other charities, the ALS Society of Canada has chosen a flower to represent its work  in  the community.  The Blue Cornflower, which grows abundantly here during the month of June, has become such a symbol for ALS.  

One day, browsing through Etsy, I searched "cornflower" to see what  lovely things I could find featuring our family's new flower. Without a thought, I jumped at purchasing 4 of these (1 for me, 1 for my mother and 1 for each of my sisters):
It is a specimen painting of a bouquet of  cornflowers printed on a vintage dictionary page.  It came from here:

My plan is to use my cornflower print as a centrepiece to a gallery wall in our family room.  To unify all of the items I plan on displaying, each piece will be displayed in a black frame. So, several frames got hit with black spray paint this weekend!!

The largest frame, an 8x10,  has become the home of my cornflower art.  
I look forward to filling a few more frames and getting my wall display started.  My goal is to have the wall complete for Easter Weekend  so I have 5 weeks or so.  Plenty of time, right??

Thanks for popping by.  I'd love to hear from you so please, LEAVE A COMMENT.  And I'd love a few more FOLLOWERS!

9 comments:

  1. Looks great Bronwyn. That pic of daddy and the kids makes me tear up every single time. Again, thank you for giving us all this great memorial to dad. Love my cornflower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How Beautiful! I found you at Sunday's Best Party

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love cornflowers, and this one is such a pretty shade of blue. Love your pic of daddy and kids, I know what it's like to lose your parent, I've lost both of them. Love your idea of using the cornflower in the center of your family portraits, this will be really pretty. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best Par.tay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My father-in-law died of ALS some years ago. It was devastating. So sorry for your loss.

    Following you on the new Linky tools. Best wishes, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful memorial for your dad, love the picture of him with your beautiful children! S.T.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely print and a beautiful remembrance of your Dad. Thanks for sharing it and your cherished photo of him.
    I came across an etsy jeweler awhile back and she has a sweet little cornflower pendant...her shop name is skyejuice in case you are curious.
    Arrived via Today's Creative Blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet memorial to your dad. I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm glad you've found such a pretty way to honor his memory!! I can't wait to see the gallery wall display!!! Yes, I do believe your deadline is doable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a touching post. My father passed away 7 years ago, I miss him everyday.
    I am a new follower. I've spent the last 30 minutes looking at your blog. Every post is wonderful. You have an eye for beautiful. Love your quilt and you sweet baking tray. The chocolate chips wouldn't last long at my home. My daughter and 3 young children just moved in. We all have a sweet tooth. Can't wait to spend more time looking at your blog.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful reminder of your Dad! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!