Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2012

An Apron for Afton

Recently I took all three of kids to the new public library here in our hometown. After searching the stacks for Barbie and Lego books, the kids settled into read their choices and I was able to take a gander through the sewing and quilting section. Oh - there were so many choices! I came home with a half-dozen books with so much sewing eye-candy I didn't know where to start!!
But after a few evenings of reading and re-reading, I settled on this project from Cath Kidston's
"SEW!"

--- the GIRL'S APRON!!

I took my 5 year old daughter with me to the fabric store so she could choose her own pretty printed fabric . I was very surprised that she didn't jump immediately for a pinkish-purplish pattern. Instead, this is what she chose:

Cath's book comes with a huge fold-out pattern sheet, but because my book was from the library, I had to go "old-school" and trace the pattern onto scrap paper before I could cut my fabric.
I cheated a bit. Instead of making my own home-made seam binding like the book said, I bought some pre-cut, pre-folded seam binding in a contrasting blue. Honestly, even with the pre-made binding, I'll still had some problems - thank God for straight pins.

Here it is - not bad, eh? I created my own pocket style so that I could use more of the pretty blue binding.

But for some reason, it just didn't look finished to me. Hmm...
It didn't take me long to figure out that any girly item like this needs some flowers! Out came my yo-yo flower makers, some matching fabric and my button stash (oh! - and my mochaccino!)
Ta-da!
(Do I put one of these in every one of my posts??)

This is my favourite part of the whole apron!!


And it fits perfectly!!


And today we tried it out. Our first baking mission - Lemon Blueberry Muffins.

Thanks for popping by! Please leave a comment and become a FOLLOWER!

13 comments:

  1. Love the flower addition! I am shocked that she chose yellow though, too! Maybe she was channeling Cam at the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your yo-yo flower addition is perfect! Just what it needed. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the apron, it looks great and she looks very pleased with it, bless her so cute x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet model, that is adorable on her:~)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the apron and great fabric choice! Gorgeous. I've got that book so will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your daughter has FANTASTIC taste in fabric! The apron is gorgeous and I love the flowers. ONE day I will attempt this...maybe for myself! x x Thanks for linking to #pinaddicts - if you want to join in again next month I'll be hosting the linky on the first Monday of March x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Wow, it came out totally amazing!! Well done, and thanks SO much for joining our Challenge!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your daughter is GORGEOUS!!!!!!! I have to make two of those aprons.. my girls would FLIP out with excitement!

    Would you PLEASE post it on my blog?
    http://thediydreamer.blogspot.com/2012/02/from-dream-to-reality-linky-party-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable! Love your fabric choices--and Afton is too sweet! Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bronwyn-- this apron is almost as darling as the sweetie wearing it! Such cute fabric, too!! So happy you were able to link up to Mop It Up Mondays at ishouldbemoppingthefloor. Really glad you stopped by! Have a great weekend!
    {HUGS},
    kristi

    ReplyDelete
  12. SO sweet!! And, the apron is precious too :). I love your girl's fabric choice...what an eye!

    Thanks so much for linking up!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!