Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Summer Sewing : My Flower Garden Quilt

 
I began this quilt way back in the early spring - back when the snow was finally melting and I was desperate for temperatures that were above the -35 degrees Celsius we had been dealing with during the winter. 
 

It was still too cold for daffodils and hyacinths and I was really hankering for some summer blooms and the green of my garden. 
 

 
We were in need of a new picnic blanket, too. Our old one had been left outside for a few days and had grown some nasty mold in the final days of summer 2014. So I set to work creating something new and colourful and flowery. 
 

At first I started cutting 6x6 squares out of fabrics that "matched."
You know - subtle prints with the same colour tones in them.  Then I got over myself and thought - if the colours go together beautifully and naturally in my garden, why can't they all "go together" in my quilt too??
 

 
So I went blissfully crazy. I cut squares out of every fabric I had in my collection.  I buy fabric because I think its attractive and "pretty" so, of course, pretty goes with pretty and it all works together, right?
 

And now that it is done - I LOVE IT!!
 
Flowers, and bugs and birds and fruit.... all the elements of a fine looking garden.
 

 
As you can see form the photos above, the kids have been using it already.  The dog loves it too.  In fact -he napped on it for nearly 2 hours the other day!
 

 
And how is it for picnicking?  Absolutely perfect - as seen above on our jaunt to our town's central park the other night.


  
And I can't bare to put it away between picnics, so it has found a semi-permanent spot on our living room sofa.
Casey the beagle/shepherd doesn't seem to mind one bit!!
 
 
Much love to you all!
 
XOXOXO
 
Bronwyn

7 comments:

  1. It is beautiful Bronwyn! I like the rounded corners very much, too. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love all the happy colors. Wish I knew how to quilt! Looks like it's a hit with everyone :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So bright and cheerful - and the photo of your boy and dog relaxing on it is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is really lovely!!! All of the fabrics go together beautifully, I love it!! Hope you have lots of fun picnics with it and times snuggling under it too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I just love it! All the colors do go so nicely together. I want to make a quilt like this from my vintage sheets some day! Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great on the sofa! I wish I still had the quilt my mum made for me when I was young.

    Saskia / girlinbrogues.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bronwyn, that is absolutely beautiful, so happy, who would want to stash it away...I'd go for the drape it over the sofa option too!

    What did you back it with?

    Just want to say how comforting and lovely it is to have you back in BlogLand safe and sound, you can tell I missed you , right?

    Love from Nora in the UK xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!