Pages

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Bake Along: Molasses Oat Nut and Seed Bread

 
 
Hi All! I am linking up with Amanda at Rhyme and Ribbons for her weekly GBBO baking link-up.
 
 
This week on the Great British Bake-off, the bakers were challenged with bread-making. 
I am a baker. I bake a lot.  But bread is not my forte.  I'll admit it's because I haven't practised enough mostly because of the time it takes to make bread - ingredients, proofing once or twice, and then baking. 
You've got to have a lot of time set aside for bread-making and in my busy life, I don't have that time. 
However, after spending the three hours it took to make this bread, and loving EVER SINGLE MORSEL as I consumed the loaves afterwards, I could be convinced that it really is worth the time!! 
 
(Recipe modified from Canadian Living Magazine) 
 
 
Molasses Oat Nut and Seed Bread
(Makes 2 loaves)
 
Ingredients 
 
1-1/4cups(300 mL (300 mL) boiling water
3/4cups (175 mL)  large-flake rolled oats
1/3cup (75 mL) fancy molasses
2tbsp (30 mL)  butter, softened
1 egg, beaten
1tsp (5 mL)  granulated sugar
1/2cup (125 mL)  warm water
1tbsp (15 mL)  active dry yeast
3cups (750 mL) all purpose flour, (approx)
1cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
1-3/4tsp (9 mL)  salt
1 -1/2 cups mixed seeds, nuts and/or dried fruit

 

 
 

Preparation

In heatproof bowl, stir boiling water with rolled oats; let stand until absorbed, about 15 minutes. Stir in molasses, butter and egg.

Meanwhile, in large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water; sprinkle in yeast and let stand until frothy, about 10 minutes. Stir in oat mixture. Stir in 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) of the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour and salt to form sticky dough.

Turn out onto floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic, adding as much of the remaining flour as necessary, about 5 minutes. Knead in the seeds/nuts/dried fruit in small handfuls.  Distribute theses add-ins evenly by kneading them into the dough.  Place in greased bowl, turning to grease all over. Cover with plastic wrap; let rise in warm draft-free place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
 
 Punch down dough; divide in half. On floured surface, pat each half into 11- x 8-inch (28 x 20 cm) rectangle. Starting at narrow end, roll up into cylinder; pinch edge to seal. Fit into 2 greased 8- x 4-inch (1.5 L) loaf pans. (Or shape each into round, stretching and pinching dough underneath to smooth top.) Cover with tea towel; let rise in warm draft-free place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
 
Bake in centre of 375°F (190°C) oven until loaves sound hollow when tapped on bottoms, about 40 minutes. Let cool on racks.
 
 
Oh yes - here comes the money shot:
 
 
Doesn't that look divine?  And the scent - to die for!!  
The molasses adds a sweetness that fills the house with the smell of...autumn or gingerbread or maybe even Christmas. 
I don't know.  But it's good!
 
The first loaf was consumed very quickly - 2 slices before bed right after it came out of the oven, then the rest of the loaf at breakfast the next morning.  (Don't worry - 5 people live in my house.  I didn't eat it all by myself!!)
 
Looking forward to seeing what kinds of bread everyone else has made this week.  I've been bitten by the "bread-baking bug" and I cant wait to get started on a few more loaves!
 
 
Hugs to all,
 
XOXOX
 
Bronwyn
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Yum! Sounds delicious! I don't have a good kitchen for bread making, but I love the idea of it. Cute measuring cups :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm starving now, just imagining what it smelled like! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very different sort of bread to everyone elses but this sounds delicious! :) Seems to be a recurring theme that bread is not a baking forte! :) Alice xx

    www.woodenwindowsills.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an unusual recipe! It looks delicious (it makes me think of brioche... yum!).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!