Pages

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Pumpkins and Potions Mantel


Another October weekend come and gone.  Wow.  November will be here before we know it...and then.. dare I say it....Christmas??!!
Oh dear.  I mustn't think that far ahead.....
We took the kids out for a lovely walk this afternoon.  The trees still hold half of their leaves and the ones that have fallen created a colourful carpet along the path. Cool enough for hats and mitts too, but very sunny.

After returning from our outdoor trek, the kids BEGGED that I get started on the Hallowe'en decor. So, with 6 little helping hands, I put together a ....


My potion bottles are 3 French lemonade bottles that I usually use for serving drinks at our summer parties.  But once they were filled with green and blue "potions,"  and .....


....wrapped in some printable labels (found here) they became the exciting centrepiece of my mantel decor. 




My silvery jack'o'lantern is a new find from a discount decor store.  When I saw him I knew he would fit perfectly with my "orange-free" Hallowe'en decor.  The kids insisted that Jack needed some hair  - so in went some dried hydrangea.  Silly and pretty at the same time!!


This spider is the only "creepy" item I added to the mantel.  Lit, he adds a little ambience. 


 The raven was a request from my 3-year-old.  He said that the bird could "keep watch" over the mantel and fireplace.  Too cute.


 To add some texture, a hung a homemade grapevine wreath on the corner of one of the mirrors.  I have very few "natural" elements in this mantelscape so the curls and twigs of the vine add some interest.  


To dress up the wreath, I hung some small skeleton dolls in amongst the vine.  They are part of a set a of Hallowe'en ornaments that I picked up last year. ( The rest of the collection is helping to decorate my front porch - more on that later in the  week!)


These cute little guys were $1.00 at Target last month.  Sparkly and smiley - they are my daughter's favourite part of the mantel.  


We've had our fireplace for just over a month and already it has seen 4 makeovers!   I am sure once Hallowee'en has passed I'll get started on some "transitonal" decor that will fill the gap between spiders and pumpkins .....and reindeer and wreaths.  


Thanks for your visit!
It's wonderful to have so many new readers and followers.

If you like what you see, please leave a comment or become a FOLLOWER. I'd love to meet more blogging friends!


13 comments:

  1. I love the repurposed lemonade bottles! Just the right touch of Halloween. I have the same spider tealight holder (Canadian Tire?) and bought a raven last year. It's so sweet how much your kids get involved with decorating your new mantel. You've definitely got the layered look under your belt :) Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable! I love hydrangeas stuck into to any arrangement! :)
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun! I don't know what I like best... It's all cute! Love your bottles, your jack-o-lantern, spider, wreath, the raven, the mirrors, the shutter....
    And you kids.... They are so sweet.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty Bronwyn! I love the ghost banner and the empty frames and potions! You did a fab job of making a lovely mantel! Have a wonderful week! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea with the bottle labels!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the potion bottles. The whole mantle looks so put together.Cute crow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a cute mantel! It's cute and not scary which I love. My favorite thing is the wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out adorable! I am feeling inspired to work on my own now! Thanks for the adorable ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bronwyn ~ I found your blog through the Tweak it Tuesday link on Cozy Little House. Your mantle is SO cute and creative! I can't wait to look through the rest of your blog and get to know you. I'll also be adding your blog to my sidebar list of "Beautiful Blogs", so I hope you'll pop on over and visit me as well, and become a new follower!

    Blessings,
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this look. This will be the first year that I get to decorate a mantle for Christmas, I am looking forward to seeing what you will do with yours. I love the silver pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! So cute and creative. I can't wait to see what you do next.

    xoxo
    Selena

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute! My 5 gkids love helping decorate my son's house, so much fun for them!
    Are you Irish, Bronwyn?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute! I love the shutters. I need to find some. :) Thanks for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday. I hope we see you back this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!