Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Mom's Lemon Tea Loaf Recipe

Ah yes...another rainy day....Lots of inside  moments where I can witness this:

My big boy and my man - sharing a story (Star Wars of course!)


Rainy weather is the perfect time to do some baking.  
I love to bake.  It is real therapy for me.

My dear husband laughs at me - I can be having the worse day EVER, feeling overwhelmed and incapable of completing the regular tasks of the day. And instead of crashing onto the couch into a ball of cry,  I pull out my KitchenAid mixer, a bag of flour and I am off to the races.  My sadness and anger disappears and my family benefits from my new found mood - and some delicious cookies or loaves. 

The recipe I share with you today is an old fave from my childhood. My mother was/is a passionate baker, too.  I don't think I ever ate a store-bought cookie in  the first 10 years of my life - why would I when there was so much home-baking being done in our home.  


Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.  


In a large bowl, mix together:

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup white sugar


Zest the peel of 1 lemon and cut it into teeny-tiny pieces.


In a smaller bowl, whisk together:

5 tbsp. softened butter
2 eggs
 1 cup milk
Lemon zest


Mom's recipe doesn't call for these additional ingredients, but I stirred in 1/2 cup of dried cranberries and 1/2 cup lemon flavoured baking chips.

*** EDITED TO ADD - I purchased my lemon baking chips came from the BULK BARN.  


Mix the wet ingredients into the dry.  Stir only to combine the textures. Do not over-stir or you'll end up with a tough loaf. 


Grease or line a loaf pan and spoon in the batter. 
Level it with the back of a spoon.


Bake the loaf for 50-60 minutes at 325 degrees. 

While the loaf bakes, make the glaze.

 Glaze:  Stir together 1/3 cup sugar and the juice from 1/2 the lemon.


Once the loaf is baked, remove it from the oven and poke the top surface with the tines of a fork.  
Drizzle the glaze over the top of the bread.  

Get ready to enjoy!!


I hope you give this recipe a try.  Let me know how it goes if you do!!

Welcome to my newest followers!
if you haven't become a FOLLOWER yet, please do.  I'd love to have more blog-reading pals!


17 comments:

  1. What a splendidly yummy sounding recipe. Tart, but with just the right hit of sweet. I think this would be beautiful as a Boxing Day breakfast or teatime snack anytime during the chilly months. Thank you for sharing this beautiful recipe with us.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really yummy. Stopping by from The Ease of Freeze.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure I can smell that *sniff, sniff* !!! Divine and pretty. Going to try and devise a low fat version......hmmmm! *thinking*

    Lots of love from the UK xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what, I NEVER bake but this sounds SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ggod I might give it a try. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. I came over from Yvonne's. XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious! I will let you know if I try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey I'm newest follower,I'm visiting your #52 @ StoneGable.
    I love this recipe,I must "pin",hope you don't mind.
    I'm also going to put your blog on my sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm #112 @ StoneGable come see me if ya can!

      Delete
  7. O.K.; this may be twice (like my facebook photos). Thanks for the awesome lemon loaf recipe. Delicious; will be made often at our house.
    Love, your m.i.l.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That look scrumptious! Enjoying your blog. Happy fall and I'd be so happy to have you as a follower. ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! That tea loaf looks SO good Bronwyn! I love loafs and scones...they are my fav! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks wonderful, but I have never seen lemon flavored chips. Where did you buy these?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made this last Saturday and took it to church for our morning fellowship. Could not find any lemon flavored chips, so I just omitted them and prayed. Not a crumb left! Thank you so much for sharing. Where do you find the lemon flavored chips? Regena in TN.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy! Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMHeavens... this sounds delightful. I just love lemon and then cranberries too... can't wait to try this. just one question though... I've never heard of lemon baking chips... do you get them from a regular store or do you order them. I can think of many things to use them in. And by the looks of these comments, I'm not the only one. Help please.
    Thank you so much for the recipe. YUMMY I think will be an understatement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a yummy looking loaf. I've never seen lemon chips--I bet white chocolate chips would taste good too. I like the addition of cranberries.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh thank you very much, Bronwyn, for the recipe! Yesterday I baked this yummy loaf!
    Have a sunny day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!