Pages

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Blue and Yellow Autumn Porch

Hello again.
It's Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada.  I've taken a ton of pictures over the last few days, but this one of my favourites.

The autumnal colours are amazing this year.  So much red mixed in with the less exciting yellow and brown.  I love it!!

Now after making that "I love red" comment above, I feel silly leading into this, my far from traditional fall front porch post....


Yep - no red, brown or orange to be seen here.  Instead, I took inspiration from my navy blue front door and went with blue, grey and yellow.  
And here is how I did it:

First of all - orange pumpkins weren't going to work here.  So...

I taped off the pumpkin's peduncles (that is the scientific name for the "stem") and hit them with some antique white spray paint.  
I used some painter's tape to square off some blocks so that I could colour-block with a few different colours.  I also covered another pumpkin with polka dots created using a wine cork dipped in yellow paint.  


My wreath began as an ugly $2.00 frame from the thrift store.  I covered it with silver spray paint and added blue ribbon and a mix of yellow silk flowers.  


And here's how it all came together.....
First I covered my white porch table with a small grey carpet. 



On top I placed a pre-planted pot from the Home Depot.  And I can't get enough of those little white pumpkin gourds.  Cute, eh??


In the tall metal planter a 9" pot of yellow mums added more sunshine colour to the vignette.  


And how about some sticks for texture??


On the chair, a cozy crocheted blanket and soft cushy pillow.


And how did the pumpkins turn out? Take a look for yourself.


I was going for a "Mondrian" look on the colour-blocked pumpkin.  And the dotty-pumpkin?? It feeds my polka-dot obsession!! 


Overall, I am very pleased with my "alternate autumn" porch.  


My kids are already itching for me to get out the outdoor Halloween decor.  I told them that we'd wait a week or so. Do you think they'll hold on that long??  

Who knows...I may be back with a re-decorated porch before you know it!!




12 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving, Bronwyn!

    I'm patting myself on the back because when I spotted your first pumpkin photo I was going to say it reminds me of Mondrian (and I only know that because it was an art lesson at Althouse!). Your porch looks so fun and I bet it makes neighbours and visitors smile to see such happy pops of yellow.

    Enjoy the extra day with your family. I know teachers use Thanksgiving as a bit of a benchmark for first month of school survival ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like what you did, it pops fall, and the polka dot pumpkin..delightful for sure! I came over from Knick of Time Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your porch looks great! I love the wreath from the old photo frame! So cute! Thanks for linking up to tip toe thru tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. VERY Mondrian! I see someone else noticed too!

    Thank you so much for joining the party!
    ♥Linsey

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spotted that Mondrian inspired pumpkin right away! Love everything, and using non-trad colors creative lady :)

    Hugs, Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your unique take on the pumpkins, Bronwyn. How creative!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful! It's always so nice to see creative takes on things ~ your untraditional fall color scheme looks lovely. Great job : ) Saw you on Yesterday on Tuesday and came to say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your "Mondrian" pumpkin really excited the former art school student in me. :) Great job on your porch, and thanks for linking up!
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  9. that turned out so lovely! the polka dot pumpkin is my absolute favor! thanks for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday! (i'm a new follower, also)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! yellow is a very nice color for fall! nice job on the color block, and love that updated frame!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your fall vignette-very fun! Just found you and am now following-I'd love you to visit and say hi :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello from Arkansas, Canada! I am an art teacher and love that Mondrian pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!