Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

A Snowy Wreath....

I found this wreath recently on a trip to the "vintage shop." That's what my sisters and I call "Value Village." "Vintage Shop" sounds more on trend, right? Hee, hee.

I fell in love with it because it reminded me of a similar wreath my mother had hung in our farmhouse for many years when I was a child. It was just like this - pinecones, a mix of real nuts, and little red berries. Very brown and very seventies.
I had to laugh, though, when I arrived home with it because the first thing my husband said was, " My mom had one just like that when I was growing up!"
Even though this brownish wreath brought back some fond memories, I knew I couldn't leave is AS IS - it was just TOO rustic for me. So off came the ugly plaid bows and out came the can of spray paint!
TA-DA!! Big change here. And I love it. It took about 3 layers of paint, each time spraying at a different angle so that I could get in behind the cones and nuts and paint all around them.
Once the paint was dry, I added a bit of sparkle by glue-gunning some shiny pearl beads amongst the cones and nuts.
Here it is on our front door. I like how it looks snow-covered and stands out clearly against our dark-blue door.
Now - does it need a bow? I have thought about this for several days now. I was thinking just a big white one. Hmm...what do you think?
Thanks for checking me out. Please leave a comment - everyone likes "mail" right?? And maybe join the on-going party - BECOME A FOLLOWER!

10 comments:

  1. Boy does that bring back memories. My grade one class at Mount Carmel also made two wreaths and Father Mooney hung them in the church for years at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a gorgeous wreath!! I LOVE it!! I would leave it as is..no bow is my vote:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty. I used to make those ~ back in the 70's. Telling my age I'm afraid. My Mom still has one I made her for Christmas long time ago. Maybe I can talk her into painting it white. I vote no bow. Newest follower.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is super pretty! I love this! I found you through Craft Envy and am becoming your follower as soon as my little fingers are done typing this! Have a great Saturday-stop by and see some of my wreaths if you get bored! www.potholesandpantyhose.com (search wreaths!)
    Peace out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing what some spray paint will do! I love the end result. I have to say when I saw the original, it brought back memories for me too. My mother had one almost exactly like that. Now I am tempted to ask her if she still has it... Seriously though this looks very high end. Thanks for visiting my blog and your kind comments. I am glad you did, I'm your newest follower.
    Krista
    krista-artista.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is gorgeous.

    I sent you a PM through the Scrapping Bug board, not sure if you saw it or not. I couldn't find your email address.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea. I may be at the thrift stores tomorrow. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks amazing I love it. I would go a red bow but thats because I love read. I think it looks gorgeous as is though. Thanks for your lovely comments about my colours I actually scrapped that one and started another one for this little project as the theme is rainbow but I do love those colours and I think I will make one with those colours for our house. Granny stripes are great. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought that was Mom's wreath... but then I remembered hers was eaten by mice one fall. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally Amazing! I think I am going to get some great ideas from your sire! Thanks S.T.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!