Pages

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Simple Centrepiece

I usually put a large bundle of holly and poinsettias in the middle of my dining room table. It can a substantial size because we hardly ever use this table. Space is NOT at a premium. But this year I wanted something different and I wanted a change from red and green.

So this time I started with a large wooden crate my father-in-law had picked up for me at a garage sale for $1.00. He figured I could fine some use for it and make it look like it's worth more than a buck!
I added a fair bit of fake greenery next. It doesn't smell as good as the REAL stuff, but it is inexpensive and fills crate the quickly and easily.
Next I added some crystal beads that I have had for years. In fact, I remember them decorating the bathroom in our first home, 10 years ago! (It just goes to show, classic NEVER goes out of style!)
I knew I wanted candles in this arrangement. They add a wonderful glow and add ambiance to our dining room. I had hoped to find some pillar candles in my wax collection, but alas, no. Instead I opted for some snowy tea light holders that I nestled in amongst the greenery.
Now for some more sparkle - but with subtlety. I had some pale pink and muted gold balls kicking around that weren't going on my tree. I arranged them around the tea lights where they could catch some candlelight shimmer.
By now I was pretty pleased with my arrangement from nearby, but when I stood back at the entrance to the room, I knew it needed more. So for added height, I stuck in a few tall, slim branches to extend the size of the centrepiece.
Ah yes. Much better. Back goes the table runner. Light those candles up and this is what you see:

What do you think? Do I need to paint the crate? Should I wrap it in something? Hmm...

Please leave a comment - I LOVE reading those! And become a FOLLOWER! Everyone likes to make new blog-world friends!

5 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is darling! I love the rustic look. Thanks so much for stopping by and for your sweet comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so pretty! love it! thank you for stopping by our blog....following you now :) would love it if you'd come follow along too!
    funwiththefullwoods.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute! Your post on my blog had no email linked to it so I came digging to reply to you. Glad I did because this is super cute!
    I bought the sparkly balls in my centerpieces at Michael's. I bought two bags and they were full of an assortments of colors for about $3 each I want to say.
    Glad you stopped by for a visit! I'm your newest follower and I hope you are too!
    http://directionsnotincluded.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe you do all this AND work AND have children. wow. can't wait to see it in person. love, Steph

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!