Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Polka-Dotted Kitchen Stools

Hi all.  How was your weekend?  We had a great one around here - the weather was very pleasant  and we spent lots of time outside.

On Saturday we attended a picnic for families whose children are brain tumour sufferers and/or survivours.  Luckily, our oldest son, Bryn, falls into the latter category and is very healthy 18 months after the removal of a orange-sized cystic tumour.  

Obviously, most of the children attending were between treatments or in remission. SO- that meant that there was plenty of opportunity for a great deal of fun.  

These pictures were my favourite from the event.  They feature Bryn and his neuro-surgeon, Dr. Singh, taking part in a  pretty mighty team tug-o-war.  

Dr. Singh calls Bryn "Sunshine" and she was more than pleased to join his team when he asked.  


Of course their team won, but the best part was seeing these 2 together - our healthy, strong boy and the heroic surgeon that saved his life.  

To anyone else, it's just a picture of 2 people with a rope. To me it's a photograph capturing the love and care that one incredibly talented woman can give to a boy that was once a complete stranger, but now sees her as a life-changing hero.  

Thank-you again, Dr. Singh!


Now onto the project of the day....


Below you will find the BEFORE.
Pretty plain, eh?  Functional and it matched with my black counter-tops.  But it's time for a shake-up!


How about "Red Awning" by Behr?  
(I used it recently on our Red Basement Door makeover found here.



Yeah.  I like them.  The kids like them and they added a bit more colour to our breakfast bar.


Then one day, walking through IKEA, I found  it - polka-dotted vinyl fabric.  Wipeable, durable - SOLD!!


I bought a metre and got to work.

I stretched the fabric around the circular stool tops and stapled down the fabric using my trusty staple gun.  (Luckily the stool tops just popped of their legs - this made the job so much easier!)

Oh Polka Dots! How I LOVE thee!


TA-DA!!


Pretty darn cute, eh?? 

They add so much whimsy to our little kitchen.  I wonder if there is anything else I can cover with dots in there??


Biggest boy was spending the day at Grandma's House, so my two littler ones received  the first lunch on the dotty stools.


Yessrrieeee! That's KD and hot dogs!  That's what they asked for.  Of course I threw in the apple slices - there had to be SOMETHING healthy involved!


Thanks for visiting today!  Come by a bit later in the week.  I'll be sharing my Autumn Mantel on our new fireplace!!


18 comments:

  1. Cute re-do!!! I LoVe the polka dots!!!
    What a blessing to have that meaningful picture of the "awesomeness" of your son and his dr!
    Have a great week!
    Rhiannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh those are the cutest stools ever! So very wonderful :-) (Stopping by from the Meet Me Monday blog hop - nice to meet you!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful story about your son Bronwyn! I am so happy that he has made a full recovery! Your polka dot stools are so adorable...love them! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy that your son is okay. That was a big tumor. So sweet of his doctor to join in on the fun.
    I just bought oilcloth like your faric and wanted to cover a chair. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your stools are precious! What a cute project, and your home is so cheery. So glad that your sweet baby is doing well :)
    Cheers, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun way to liven up you breakfast bar. I love the red! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute as a Polka Dot button! HOw I love the bright cheery RED!
    Smiles,
    Carolynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was exactly what I needed to read - a story with a happy ending. The photos of Bryn with his Doctor are wonderful. So thrilled to hear of his recovery.

    All these pops of red in your house must make for a very cheery space! They remind me a little bit of toadstools from a video game, but in a good way! Adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful photo of your son and his doctor! They make a great team!!

    Your red polka dot stools are making me swoon! I adore red polka dots!! And the mix with the blue is so, so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. O my goodness! These are amazing! Great job!
    http://dixie-n-dottie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love polka dots! And I love your stools. Thanks so much for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday. I hope we see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute stools...I love all things polka dot! What an inspiring story about your son....I'm so happy he is doing well!! My son has Autism, and while not quite the same thing, it is a challenge. God bless you and your family! ~Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  13. Of COURSE I had to click on your post because the name of my blog is connected to my children's book - Penny and the Polka Dot Shoes. Visit thepolkadotshoes.blogspot.com to see all those polkadots! Needless to say, I love your stools. Very creative, you are!

    P.S. You look great in red? lipstick, as seen in your profile picture. Not many can pull off that shade. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. sooooo whimsy!
    I love it!

    You must have a happy cheerful home!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are adorable. Where did you have to stand to get this picture? I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this and any other posts. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It runs from Wednesday to Sundays.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/09/natural-coconut-bubble-bath-and.html
    I hope to see you there. I am your newest follower, and I would love for your to follow me also. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are so very cute. I love red in the kitchen. I love your idea of polka dot material and red pant, to very mushroom eque and chsrming.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The fundamental elements of a kitchen are to store, plan and cook food and to wrap up related jobs like dishwashing.whirlpool washer gets stuck on rinse cycle

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!