Pages

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Italy 2015 : The Streets of Assisi


On our recent trip to Italy, we spent one hot, hot morning exploring Pompeii with three hundred million other tourists.  After, we needed break from crowds and heat, so we headed towards the historic and religious town of Assisi.



As we drove towards the centre of town,  the 800-year old basilica came into view.  It perches on the edge of a high Umbrian hill and the rest of the town sprang up around it. When we arrived in the old  town, the sun shone and the skies were blue with fluffy clouds.  You'll see in later pictures that this perfect weather didn't last!


We toured the church first. No photos were allowed so I can't show you the inside, but let me tell you, this might be my favourite church in Europe.  I found this You Tube video that a tourist shot in Assisi and though a bit wobbly, it does show the gorgeous interiors of the Basilica.  I love the deep blue used to decorate throughout the church.  As well, because it was built into a hill, it has been created on three levels - the tomb of St. Francis at the bottom, a set of chapels created for the overflow of pilgrims on the middle level, and a large glorious Gothic church above at street level. 

This was the view over the Umbrian hills from the gardens outside the church. 

After our tour of the church, we began to walk the pretty streets of the town.   We had about 2 hours before we could check into our local hotel, so we meandered slowly trying to take it all in. 



I felt this picture captures the spirit of the town.  Assisi has always been a place of pilgrimage since the 1220s after the passing of St. Francis of Assisi.  Francis is known for his stands against poverty, the importance of chastity and his love of animals.




This is the centre of town.   I love the golden stone buildings and the central fountain. 


Wherever we go, we try to find a  bakery so we can try the local pastries and  sugary delights.  We came across this shop in the side streets of Assisi.  Honestly it was the giant meringues on the top row that drew me in!!

Did we buy anything? Yep.  I purchased one of those head-sized meringues.  I read the price sign and thought it was 3.50 Euros per cookie.  Turns out it was 3.50 Euros per 100g!! I walked out of there with 12 Euros worth of meringue!



Because my husband and I are both teachers, we are always interested to see what the local school looks like.  Here is Assisi's primary school. 



I love all the angles on this building. It looks like it has been built on several times over the centuries. 


Did we eat this huge sugary delight right away when we arrived at the hotel?  Nope.  After our big dinner, I was too full and too tired.  Instead I wrapped it well and carried it around in my suitcase for the rest of the trip.  It made it home in one piece and our three kids devoured it on the day of our arrival!

I hope you enjoyed our walk through Assisi!
Hugs to all,
XOXO
Bronwyn

PS.  I am linking up over at Packing My Suitcase for Allane's "Monday Escapes,"








9 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great tour you took us on such a great place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this looks like my kind of place! Love the way you've photographed it. Amused to read about the meringues - not sure I could manage of those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are simply stunning! #MondayEscapes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that meringue! I think the best holiday photos are the ones full of food, like yours, because that's what I want to know all about. Especially the contents of bakery windows. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely town! I love wandering the streets of Italian towns as I find them to be so picturesque! That view from the church garden is gorgeous and certainly looks worth a visit to Assisi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning pictures! Looks like a wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I had gone to Assisi when we went to Pompeii. What a beautiful place... and those meringues! I am so impressed you managed to save it for the next day! I wish my primary school had been that pretty. I will be earmarking this next time I am in this part of Italy. Thanks for linking up with #MondayEscapes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful buildings and streets and oh my those cakes, I'd be in heaven.
    Love Gem x x x
    Gem'sCountryLifeDream

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed looking at your photos, you captured the town so well! I love exploring bakeries in every place we visit- I also end up mistakenly buying too many sweets!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!