Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Bake Along: Gluten-Free Strawberry Cream Cake



Once again this week, I am joining in with "The Bake Off Bake Along" hosted by  Amanda at Rhyme and Ribbons.
This past week on the Great British Bake-off, the baking contestants were challenged with "free-from" baking - sugar-free, gluten-free and dairy-free.
 
Although I am pretty sure that we could never go "sugar-free" in our home, we have gone "gluten-free."  My husband and my youngest son have proven to be gluten-intolerant so I cook and bake on a regular basis without wheat gluten.  We are not completely gluten-free - my older son, daughter and I are all tolerant, however I find it easiest sometimes to make everyone gluten-free meals.  I have switched to GF pasta and keep our pantry stacked with GF crackers, bread, cereal and baking ingredients. 
 
So, of course I have chosen to make a GF treat for this week's Bake Along!!
I have been experimenting all summer with GF flour replacements and have found this book by Emma Goss-Custard highly influential.
 
This recipe is modified from a recipe in her book.
 
Gluten Free Strawberry Cream Cake

 
 
Ingredients
 
100g (3 1/2 oz or 1/2 cup) butter, melted
100g (3 1/2 oz or 1/2cup) granulated sugar
85g ( 3 oz or 3/4 cup) polenta (corn meal)
75g (2 3/4oz or 3/4 cup) ground almonds
50 g (1 3/4 oz) rice flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
100 g (3 1/2 oz) clotted or sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
 4 tbsp. milk
200g / 7 oz. strawberries, hulled and sliced
 


 
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C. Line a 9x9 cake an with parchment paper.
 
2.  Put the polenta, sugar, almonds, rice flour and baking powder in a large bowl and mix together. 
 
3.  Put the melted butter in a large mixing bowl, then add the eggs, cream, milk and vanilla.  Beat with an electric mixer at high speed.
 
 
 
 
4.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet and combine. Put in the sliced berries and mix gently to combine. 
 
5. Scrape down the  sides of the bowl to ensure everything is combined, but be careful not crush the fruit. 
 


6.  Spoon the mixture into the cake pan.  Use a  spatula to spread the mixture out evenly.
 
 
7.  Bake for 40 minutes or until the edges are golden and the centre is no longer wet. 
 



 
 
 
This cake cuts beautifully once it is cooled.  It is a denser texture,  but it goes perfectly with whipped or clotted cream. 
 
I made this cake to slice into squares to pop into my youngest son's lunchbox this coming week. 
He is already anticipating dessert time at school!!
 
 


 
 
Looking forward to seeing what others have put together for "free-from" baking week.  Hopefully I'll be able to grab a few more GF recipes for my arsenal.
 
 
Have a wonderful Tuesday!
 
Hugs to all,
XOXO
 
Bronwyn

 

11 comments:

  1. This looks very delicious and like it would go great with some cream over a cup of tea or coffee! Totally makes sense to turn it into a GF cake rather than sugar-less for your personal reasons. Also, love your measuring spoons :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do enjoy The Bake Off. That looks absolutely delicious xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving the Bake Off this year. It's the first year I have properly gotten in to it, usually I just dip in and out but I've been watching it religiously.
    How pretty is that cook book, I do like a nice cover :)
    Gem x x
    Gem'sCountryLifeDream

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks positively delicious! And that heart shaped measuring spoon is so cute. I'll have to try and find one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds delicious! Strawberries in cakes are always a win for me. :)

    www.themidnightblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks delicious! I couldn't get my head around the bakes that week. I have just finished watching this week and the frangipane tarts looked delicious so will have a go this weekend. I still have to put my attempt of the Spanish Windtorte on my blog, it was a mess :-) but delicious!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the heart shaped measuring spoon! Plus your cake looks delicious! Alice xx

    www.woodenwindowsills.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. It must be difficult to keep gluten out of your cooking for your two gluten intolerant ones. I am glad we are all ok. Your bake looks lovely and I feel a bit peckish looking through your photos.
    I was a bit annoyed with GBBO, the 'sugar' free bakes were not sugar free at all, just free from table sugar. Honey, maple syrup, agave syrup, they are full of sugars. There are so many different kinds, table sugar is essentially sucrose. Maple syrup's main sugar component is sucrose, too. They may contain less sugar per weight because the contain other stuff like lovely flavourings but they are not sugar free. Sorry, I had to get this of my chest (having worked with sugar uptake into cells for years, I know my sugars quite well). I have baked a Victoria sandwich yesterday, yummy. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks really good! I do enjoy a good gluten free bake, it can be a different texture but does go well with whipped cream! x

    Jasmin Charlotte | UK Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!