Pages

Monday, April 27, 2015

A Ride on the Tall Ship Kajama

Have you ever rode on a Tall Ship?  You know- the ones that used to tear up the oceans carrying people, parcels and pirates? 
Recently I was able to get my hands on some tickets to take a ride on the "Tall Ship Kajama" that sails out of the main quay in Toronto's harbour.  It was  biting cold that day, but the kids were eager!!
 
 



This is what Kajama looks like when she is at full-sail on a glorious blue-skied day. 
 

 
 
Unfortunately there was no sun or blue skies on our sailing day, but that didn't stop the kids and my husband from helping to pull the rigging and  lift the sails.
 

Out of the harbour we went.  The sails flapped in the strong winds and we searched for the perfect vantage points in which to view the  water and the city of Toronto.
 
 
 
 


This was obviously some well-used rope. It was frayed and sea-scraped, but still strong enough to lace the ship to the dock while it rests between journeys. 
 

 
 
This box made my oldest son, Bryn, a little nervous.
"Are we going to need them, Mom?"  :)
 


We were chased throughout the harbour by several smaller crafts that sped through the water with the aid of the high winds.  A few tumbled over with less-experienced drivers.  Brrr... that water would have been terribly cold!
 

 
The views looking back at Toronto were amazing. We could see and name many key buildings like the Rogers Centre, The Royal York Hotel and of course, the world-famous CN Tower.   
 
 
 
Overall, it was a marvellous outing though we all agreed we wished we had worn more clothing. 
Luckily the ship ride itself was exciting enough that any memories of the frigid cold are but little ones in the scheme of the whole afternoon!
 
 
Thanks for visiting!
I love your comments --please leave one.   : )
 
Hugs to all!
 
Bronwyn
 

10 comments:

  1. I haven't been on that ship, but I have been on a tall ship in the harbour before. Discovered while on I was on the ship I get sea sick!! Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear. Thankfully no seasickness here. My father was terribly seasick every time he went on a boat. I guess that is why my parents ever went on a cruise! Love the TO harbour. So much to see and do here!

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a fabulous experience for you all!!! So glad you had a good time! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was marvellous. My youngest son wants to "sail around the world" now. I hope he does one day!!

      Delete
  3. That looks like so much fun. And yes, it does look bitterly cold too, but what a great thing to experience. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder how the experience would be different on a warm, sunny day? I guess we'll have go out again this summer. I'm sure the kids won't mind! ;)

      Delete
  4. That looks fantastic! There is a big pirate ship that you can take rides on in the town we vacation in. I'm hoping to ride it this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! Do it! Take some pics and show us on your blog!

      Delete
  5. What an exciting adventure! Your family does look rather chilled to the bone though. Great views of Toronto from the water.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was exciting, despite the cold! We're hoping to go and see the Tall Ships in Kingston this summer. I wonder if we can ride them too.... Ever been??

      Delete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!