Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2016

A Weekend Away in Toronto: Part One

My husband  and I just returned from a lovely night away in the nearby city of Toronto.  We live less than an hour from TO but often say that we don't experience it enough.   One of my 2016 resolutions was to explore the city more often so I booked hubby and me a night away during the slow moving month of February. 

I found an amazing deal online for a night at the historic Omni King Edward Hotel in downtown Toronto.  It was built in 1903 and was Toronto's first luxury hotel.   Affectionately called "The King Eddy" by locals, it has recently been renovated top to bottom and it's new state is thoroughly impressive.  

Here is one corner of our room:



Modern, clean and classic.  The perfect decor for any upscale hotel.  It meets my "pretty" criteria as well as my husband's masculine preferences.  


I adore the red accent wall.  It reminded me of our dining room in our first home over 10 years ago. We planning some bedroom redecoration for this summer.  Maybe I'll go with a red walls again.... 

A selfie before we headed out for dinner.  

As we left the building, I couldn't help taking a few pictures of the lobby as we passed through.  

Check out the carved cornices and the gorgeous pillars:



This is the elevator corridor. Very swanky.  Kevin and I agreed that this might be the fanciest  hotel we have ever stayed.



After dinner (sorry I didn't take any pictures - it was too dark and romantic in the restaurant!), we enjoyed a quiet walk around the neighbourhood.  We laughed that there were so many young people just heading out on the town as we were heading back in, ready to hit the pillows, tired after a long week with our children and jobs!


On Saturday morning we slept in until 9am!!  It was bliss.  
Then we rolled out of bed and readied for the day.  After a stop at a local cafe for some of these.....


with a view of this (St. James Cathedral),


...we walked a few blocks to spend a few hours here:  


There's been a produce market on this site since 1803.  It's packed with 100s of vendors  selling fresh fruit and veg, bread, meat, fish and cheese.  It is a delight for the senses - eyes, nose and mouth!




I would normally have picked up several of these goodies below, but knowing we were heading to High Tea that afternoon, I decided to "be good" and save my calorie consumption for then. 


These strawberries looked amazing too, but at $8.00 a container, they were a little bit pricey.   


One of the meat vendors is famous for her exotic meats.   She had ostrich, wild boar, pheasant, emu, camel and kangaroo burgers.  Kevin ended up buying some duck patties, feeling much too guilty eating any of those other animals!


We spent about 15 minutes choosing some delicious veg from this seller.  Everything looked so beautiful - nothing looked too expensive. (Even though it probably it was!)


Having 12:00 reservations for tea, we left the market and headed for the car.  
We were so excited to head to Casa Loma for an afternoon of tea, scones, and cake!


Come back later this week and I'll share all of the details of our afternoon there.


Have a wonderful Monday!!

XOXOXO
Bronwyn







7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely little getaway! The hotel is stunning and the market definitely looks like a delight to the senses! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely weekend away! The hotel looks fabulous and it's always good to take note of the decor in these places for home decorating inspiration! Great photos of the market. You must have had a relaxing time and I look forward to your next post about the setting for your afternoon tea! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful getaway! The hotel looks wonderful and Toronto sounds great too! Glad you had a great time! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How posh does that hotel look! Very fancy indeed. So pleased you both had a lovely trip, it's so nice being able to spend quality time together x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely weekend - beautiful hotel and market. It's always nice to spend time alone together, especially in a beautiful place. xx K

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW Casa Loma looks gorgeous, as does "King Eddy", what a great getaway you've had, the market looks good. It's important to treat yourselves now and again. Looking forward to your high tea :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband and I have been married for about 7 yrs now. We were happily married with two kids, a boy and a girl. 3 months ago, I started to notice some strange behavior from him and a few weeks later I found out that my husband is seeing someone. He started coming home late from work, he hardly care about me or the kids anymore, Sometimes he goes out and doesn't even come back home for about 2-3 days. I did all I could to rectify this problem but all to no avail. I became very worried and needed help. As I was browsing through the internet one day, I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he did a spell for me. Three days later, my husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my family are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr Unity . If you need a spell caster that can cast a spell that truly works, I suggest you contact him. He will not disappoint you. This is his E-mail: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com .

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!