Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Camden's Complete Shelf Overhaul

I am a teacher.  I work 10 months a year.   
usually spend those 10 months putting off odd jobs in the hopes that I'll get to them "during the summer."

This is one of the hundreds of little jobs that I ignored all school year - and finally got to this week.
Once it was done I realized that I probably could have got it done easily one Saturday morning during the school year....... but I digress.....

Oh well. It's done and I much prefer how it looks NOW!!




The Expedit shelve unit in my youngest son's bedroom had become the catch-all for everything that was even slightly related to him.  
So many toys, books, stones, cards, picture frames....well, you get the picture.  

They needed some major thinning and organizing.
And while I was at it, I thought some "beautify-ing" might be in order, too!!


Let's start at the top.
The words and stars have hung on the wall since Camden was a baby.  The pinwheel collection has been hiding the air-return vent for a few years, too.  
That's a "new" thrift store orange tray and some yard sale boxes that hold little "treasures."



I organized the books next.  Once ordered by size and placed neatly, they took up far less shelf space than I thought they would!




"Grinchy" has his own shelf along with all of my son's favourite Dr. Suess books.  

To corral his collection of Hot Wheels cars, I threw them into a big metal pail.   


Santa brought Camden several musical instruments that had been scattered throughout the playroom. Now they are ready for an impromptu jam session in his bedroom.

The mason jars hold my little boy's typical collections of rocks and shells.  


And here's the final product:



Much, much better.  
These shelves no longer give me a heart attack when I walk into Camden's bedroom.  

And Camden has done so well keeping things tidy, too.
Instead of re-shelving his own books after he reads one, I have placed a plastic bucket on the floor for him to put them in.  Every couple of days I put all the books and toys back on the shelves neatly and tidily.  

So far the system works and we're sticking to it!!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Hugs to you and yours,

Bronwyn



7 comments:

  1. Looks so nice and organized! Toys can get out of control so fast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful job organizing, it looks so great! i know all about toy messes here!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks really nice. I'm very familiar with this kind of mess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks awesome! I am glad to see that my son isn't the only hoarder of outdoor items like rocks and shells... I have had to work little storage areas for such things into his new room design as well:) Gotta pick your battles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully ordered! I wonder how long it will be before chaos takes over? My two teenagers have an amazing 'under bed storage cupboard', no, not really, it's just where they put all their old toys and bits and pieces when I ask them if their rooms are tidy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. feels so good to have a place for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look really nice, Bronwyn! Thanks for sharing at Silver Pennies Sundays. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!