Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Chocolate Orange Shortbread

Hi all!  Though I am longing for spring, winter is still rearing its head here in my little part of Canada.  However, yesterday we took advantage of the slightly warmer temperatures and headed out to a conservation area not far from our home.  We live on an escarpment so much of the area is rocky and hilly.However,  the place we visited has tons of huge crevices in these rocks.  Cool to look at, and exciting to crawl into !!

The kids (and hubby!) were nervous at first, but in the end, they were very glad to have gone on this "adventure."  We climbed down snow-covered  ladders, jumped over cracks and the kids threw snowballs into the rushing rivers.  So much fun - and the perfect way to spend a lovely winter day. 



After returning home, I let my daughter choose any recipe out of my favourite cookie cookbook she wanted.  
Her choice - Chocolate Chip Orange Shortbread.

Cookies:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 tbsp grated orange peel
1  3/4 all purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
3/4 cup miniature chocolate chips

Glaze:
1/2 chocolate chips
1 tsp shortening





1.  Blend sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.




2.  Stir in orange peel.


3. Add in flour and cornstarch; mix well.

4. Stir in 3/4 cup of chocolate chips.



5. Divide dough into 4 evenly-sized balls.  Spread each ball out on cookie using fingers or a rolling pin.  



 6.  Bake 375 degrees for 16 minutes or until the edges begin to turn golden brown. 

7.  As soon as they are removed from the oven, cut the circular cookie into slices (like you would a pie!) using a knife or pizza cutter.  


8.  Once the wedges are cool, melt the chocolate and shortening together and dip the wide edges of the cookies into the chocolate.  Let the chocolate set and ENJOY!!

Wishing you  a warm and cozy last few days of February.
Bring on March - BRING ON SPRING!!

Hugs,

B.


11 comments:

  1. Bromwyn you are bad! I'm sitting here at work on my lunch break and we are all salivating at your pictures of the shortbread. I now need to get to the shops to buy the supplies, and will pin this so I have it for future reference! Thanks again for such an interesting post. The snow has cleared here in my little part of the UK and the spring bulbs and magnolia are all coming into bloom. Happy days! Take care. Chel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look like they would be wonderful with a cup of coffee! I love that they are dipped in chocolate too:) Thanks for sharing! I am adding this to my recipe box!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love chocolate and orange together. And make it shortbread? I'm in heaven. Sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how easy shortbread is to make! And the addition of the orange and chocolate sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooh looks soooo yummy!!! Lovely photos! Also wanted to thank you so much for your lovely comments on my blog. As a new blogger and mainly a home journal on our family life, I'm still delighted when someone else gets it! Thanks so much and enjoy your weekend, J9 x

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a pretty presentation with them, however, definitely not too pretty to eat. especially dipped in chocolate like that?!?! deelish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! It looks so good! Do you do mail-order? I love baked things! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your recipe is the reason I keep dried orange peels in my pantry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had me at chocolate and orange. :D Love those two together. Thanks for sharing.
    p

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see my comment showed up as Traveling Door which is also me but I meant to comment as BeColorful.
    Have a great week.
    p

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh chocolate and orange together, LOVE! Thank you so much for sharing at Pretty Things this week :)

    xo, Tanya
    twelveOeight

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!