Pages

Sunday, May 26, 2013

A Down on the Farm Baby Quilt

One of my dearest friends, Chris, who I have known since we were 8, had her first child last week. 
 Hurray!!


Isn't he the sweetest little thing?



 Honestly, I had been hoping for a "Baby Sandals" for years, and had almost given up on seeing my friend as a mother.  Don't get me wrong - she has always been an amazing aunt to her nephews and an awesome "pseudo-aunt" to my three kids, but both she and her dear hubby Richard were meant to be parents, too!
They are both easy-going,  gentle but firm and can find humour in almost any situation - all keys to surviving parenthood!!



So, you can guess that I was over the moon when she called late last fall to tell me that she was expecting and due in May.  


Within hours I was scouring online fabric stores for the perfect fabric to make the new baby a play-mat for the floor. 

Chris and I grew up in farm country, in southwestern Ontario.  Neither of us had farmers as parents, but we both lived in the countryside surrounded by fields, tractors and farm animals.  
Richard's father is a retired veterinarian specializing in large animals and used to teach at the local agricultural college.  
These days, Chris and Richard live far from the "rural' life of their childhoods.  Instead they live in busy and bustling  Toronto where they both have successful classical music careers.  


To pay hommage to their past, I decided to make a "Down on the Farm" quilt for their upcoming bundle of  joy. I fell in love with this fabric right away and knew it was perfect!


I mixed the animal squares in with a mustard yellow for balance.  


Once complete, my own "baby" and blanket-fiend, Camden, fell in love with the mini-sized quilt.  

"The piggy is my favourite, Mommy."


I finally met baby Malcolm the other night.  Boy is he a cutie!
Born 6lbs 5 oz, this little eater has already grown to 7 lbs 8 oz and is alert as can be!
Chris and Richard are relishing every moment with this bundle of blue and I am looking forward to seeing him grow and change, too. 

 Now-- I get to be  Malcolm's "pseudo-aunt!"

Love and sunshine to all,

Bronwyn





9 comments:

  1. what a beautiful baby and beautiful quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to your friends and baby Malcolm. They certainly have a wonderful heirloom from you to treasure over the years. It also seems to be the week for new babies in blogland as I have read so many posts this week about new arrivals. I have also become a new auntie this week to nephew 'JT' and got to hold him yesterday. Isn't it lovely to hold a baby that has been so longed for over the years and knowing this little bundle is extra special. Have a great week. Chel x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous baby! I love the quilt, it's so playful and colourful and the farm references are a really nice touch. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute quilt! Baby quilts are just the best make, aren't? What a lucky little guy :-) Saw this on Lil Luna Link party and thought I'd say hi! Thanks for sharing! Sarah @ Domestically-Made.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, I love that baby picture! Next, perfect blanket! It is so adorable. I’d love for you to check out our Pattern Party! Those with free patterns and templates to share are invited to link up! Starts on the 1st of each month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely quilt! The little pictures are adorable! Just found your link through the domesblissity linky party :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post just warms my heart! I'm so happy for your friends and their new baby. Your quilt is adorable; I'm pinning your gift idea of a play-mat for future grandchildren. I'm sure baby Malcolm will spend many happy hours gazing at the cute farm animals and learning their names. Really cute idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a adorable quilt! We would love for you to share with our Kitchen Fun & Crafty Friday link party!:) Just put it up! http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2013/05/kitchen-fun-crafty-friday-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a sweet quilt and sweet story! I'm a new follower! I'd love for you to visit my site. I saw you on Friday Favorites.

    Gina
    http://ginascraftcorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for popping by my little world. I'd love to hear from you. Comments make my day!!